Santa Maria Cemetery District

Home About Us Prices Rules & Regulations Board Meetings Calendar Pine Grove Cemetery
Santa Maria Cemetery District

Pine Grove Cemetery

 
Pine Grove Cemetery became a Historical Landmark November 1, 1976. It is located on South End of Bradley Road by Stubblefield Road. Pine Grove Cemetery is currently an inactive cemetery and under the jurisdiction of the Santa Maria Cemetery District. 

History

The Pine Grove Cemetery was originally one and two-thirds acres in size and was officially designated a cemetery in 1888. That year, Absalom Stubblefield sold a corner of his property to the Pine Grove Cemetery Association for five dollars. The Association was formed in 1888 and composed of the pioneer families of the southern Santa Maria Valley and named after the local school district. Pine Grove had been their cemetery since the mid-1870s and is the final resting place for many members of valley pioneer families.

The property was divided into forty lots, approximately twelve graves to a lot. Whole and partial lots were sold. Money collected was used to build and keep a fence around the cemetery. The Association was not responsible for burials.

In 1917, the County Board of Supervisors established a district in the Santa Maria Valley known as the Santa Maria Cemetery District with a board of trustees. The Pine Grove Cemetery was part of this district and managed by the supervisor of the Santa Maria Cemetery District. The Pine Grove Cemetery Association officially terminated in 1938 and jurisdiction remains with the Santa Maria Cemetery District.

A dedication ceremony for the cemetery was held on Sunday, December 19, 1976 by the Tres Condados Senior Girl Scout Troop 187 on behalf of the Santa Barbara County Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee.

Resources

Information sent to the County Board of Supervisors by Tres Condados Senior Girl Scout Troop 187 (undated).

Letter written by Susan Reinwald, Chairman of the Pine Grove Cemetery Historical Research Committee to Bev (November 23, 1976) and housed in the Pine Grove Cemetery file in the County Planning and Development Department.  

 

PINE GROVE CEMETERY HISTORICAL LANDMARK

LANDMARK NUMBER: 
9
KNOWN AS:
Pine Grove Cemetery
PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
None
LOCATION:
South Bradley Road
Oak Knolls Area
Santa Maria Valley 
TYPE OF SITE:
Burial Site
RESOLUTION NUMBER: 
76-445 
LANDMARK DATE:
November 1, 1976 
DESIGNATION OBTAINED BY: 
Application for Designation as
County Historical Landmark
submitted by Tres Condados
Senior Girl Scout Troop 187 (undated) 
PAST OWNERS:
Pine Grove Cemetery Association
(until it disbanded) 
CURRENT OWNER:
Santa Maria Cemetery District
1501 S. College Drive
Santa Maria, CA 
CHANGES/ALTERATIONS: 
Unknown
CONDITION:
Fair

 

PINE GROVE CEMETERY POLICIES AND PROCEDURES

The Pine Grove Cemetery Policies and Procedures are as follows:

  • It will be kept in its natural state.
     
  • The cemetery will be mowed on a quarterly basis.
     
  • The trees will be trimmed as needed.
     
  • The entrance to the cemetery is locked and can be opened for visitors by appointment only once a month.
    Please call the Santa Maria Cemetery District office at 805-925-4595 during normal business hours
    Mon- Fri 8:00am – 4:30pm.